Match Report: Evesham United 0-5 Solihull Moors

Tim Flowers’ men lined up for their second pre-season friendly on a baking Saturday afternoon at the Jubilee Stadium.

Flowers named a strong line-up as Moors looked to continue their winning ways after the midweek victory at Tamworth – and they started strongly.

Moors dominated the early exchanges and forced a corner early on after a cross from Tyrone Williams was headed behind.

Shortly after, a cross from the left side courtesy of George Carline was struck by Jordan Murphy who’s shot was blocked and fell to Luke Maxwell whose shot was cleared.

In the sixth minute, Solihull were given the chance to go in front when Adi Yussuf knocked the ball on for Jermaine Hylton who was fouled by Linden Dovey to give Moors a penalty. Hylton dusted himself off and coolly slotted the penalty into the bottom right corner. 0-1.

Solihull continued to control the game for the best part but Evesham began to grow into the game and were nearly rewarded when Cory Simpson’s cross was met by Linden Dovey at the back post – but his shot was easily saved by Ryan Boot from 12 yards.

Yussuf had a chance for a goal when he made a run into the Evesham area, but his scuffed shot was well gathered by Harvey Rivers.

Cory Simpson continued to run at the Moors defence and a good run into the box forced a corner for Evesham that was wasted.

Moors began to take the upper hand and Hylton made a weaving run into the box but his low drive was deflected behind.

Alex Gudger went close when he headed over from Hylton’s fizzed corner.

Moors continued to push for a second goal and just before half-time, it came in the form of a stunning 25-yard strike from Jamey Osborne. 0-2 at half-time.

The second half began with Evesham on the offensive and they pressed for an early goal but were again let down in the final third.

Two minutes into the second half, Murphy stabbed in a rebound but the flag was up for offside so the lead remained at two goals.

Kyle Storer fouled Gary Preen on the edge of the box and Preen himself stepped up to take the resulting free-kick. A great effort from the Evesham man crashed against Boot’s crossbar before being cleared. Evesham continued to press for a goal back.

Moors made their first substitution with Kwame Thomas replacing Yussuf who had been a nuisance for the Evesham defence.

Moors began to look the most likely to score again and Osborne nearly notched another cracker but was denied from 20-yards by the fingertips of Harvey Rivers.

Another sub for Moors saw Gudger depart and be replaced by Reiss McNally. Shortly after, Hylton was also replaced – with Mikkel Hurst entering the field.

The third goal came for Moors in the 75th minute with another foul by Linden Dovey in the box. Substitute Thomas stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way to put Moors three up. 0-3.

Flowers then rung the changes for his side. Storer, Liam Daly, Murphy and Osborne all made way, to be replaced by two trialists and Callum Coyle.

Chances were at a premium in the second half as the boiling conditions began to take a toll on both teams.

In the 78th minute, Moors went close from a free-kick that was sent just over by Maxwell.

Four minutes later, McNally capitalised on an Evesham defensive mix-up and slotted home past Harvey Rivers to put Moors out of sight. 0-4.

Despite their advantage, Moors continued to press for another and nearly found it when Thomas got in behind and squared for a trialist, but the ball got stuck under his feet and was cleared by the Evesham defence.

In the 86th minute, Coyle struck from the edge of the box into the top right corner, giving Harvey Rivers no chance. 0-5.

Report Courtesy of Tom Scott