Match Report and Pictures: Evesham United 0 vs Hereford FC 2

Evesham`s last home game of the season in the Evo-Stik Southern South & West Division ended in a 2-0 defeat to champions Hereford in front of a record 1,578 crowd at the Jubilee Stadium. The victory sees Hereford go the entire campaign without a defeat on their travels and continued an impressive unbeaten away league record that stretches back to 15th August 2015. Late goals in both halves from Pablo Haysham and leading scorer John Mills sealed maximum points for the visitors, whilst Adam Mann missed a penalty for the Robins in second-half stoppage-time. Both Evesham and Hereford went into the game knowing their play-off and title aspirations respectively had already been done and dusted and this resulted in a dour encounter with little in the way of goalmouth action to get both sets of supporters excited.

Man of Match Matt Williams

The opening 45 minutes were pretty even although Bulls striker Mike Symons did hit the side netting from a tight angle and Mike McGrath`s free-kick was safely held by Kevin Sawyer. Mann wasted Evesham`s best chance by firing wide of the target after neat play with Paul Fahy down the left. But in the final action of the first-half Hereford broke the stalemate after Rob Purdie had been pushed to the ground by Leroy Odiero and Pablo Haysham cleverly put away McGrath`s free-kick at the near post.

It was much of the same after half-time with defences on top and chances at a premium. Symons should have doubled the visitors lead after latching onto Mills` pass but after holding off several defenders his right-foot strike was brilliantly kept out by keeper Sawyer. Shortly afterwards Mills and Haysham combined well leading  to Mills finding the net from six yards for 2-0 with his 35th goal of the season. There was still time for late drama at the other end with Ryan Green handling Jordan Bryan`s cross in the box and subsequently sent-off for a second yellow card offence. Mann, however, had his spot-kick easily saved by Martin Horsell who dived to his left before having the danger cleared.
Evesham manager Paul Collicutt said, “It was an enjoyable day and the only disappointing thing for me was to lose the game. I felt we did alright and the decision for their first goal was a soft one. “We switched off during the latter stages of both halves and ultimately paid the price. With nothing riding on the game my main concern was to get through the 90 minutes with no further injuries. I must praise both sets of supporters for  a smashing afternoon and credit to everyone behind the scenes at Evesham United for making the occasion run so smoothly.
Pictures by Stuart Purfield here 
Sawyer, Dovey, Odiero, Haskayne (Stanley 82), M.Williams, A.Williams, Preen, Bryan, Fahy (Edenborough 78), Mann, Binns (Magee 67).
Subs not used: Wood, Gilder
Referee: Mr T.Reeves (Coventry)                              
Attendance: 1,578