Match Report: Evesham United 1-2 Slimbridge
(Courtesy of Slimbridge FC website)
Photos from EUFC photographer Stuart Purfield
After a poor start to the season result wise, Slimbridge came away from Evesham on Monday with a deserved 3 points after a physical game played at a high tempo throughout.
The visitors got off to a flying start earning an early corner, a few moments later Will Hawes almost got hold of Marley Thomas’s cross from the left that had been spilt by home keeper Lewis Clayton.
Clayton however was beaten on 6 minutes through another delightful individual run by Toumani Sidibe down the right blasting his shot into the bottom left corner to give the visitors the lead.
The lead did not last long, Thomas Chamberlain firing an equaliser on 13 minutes from a free kick 30 yards outside the Slimbridge box.  A couple of minutes later the Swans were forced into a change when the energetic Sidibe suffered a hamstring injury and was replaced by Edji Mbunga.
Myron Turner and Thomas linked up down the left and Thomas cross found Johan Flo but his header fell just wide.  Mbunga then had a shot blocked having collected a pin points cross from Ben Prictor.
On 24 minutes Lewis Adams in the visitors goal pulled off a stunning save from a long free kick flicked on from close range, however the off side flag was raised.
Adams then claimed a cross from the right wing at the feet of a home striker in a crowded box.  At the other end Mbunga hit a shot but only to find Turner blocking its path to goal. 
On the stroke of half time Chamberlain tried his luck from long range but his shot ended up over the stand into the car park.
Ben Hayes flashed a cross come shot wide at the start of the second half from a long ball forward from the back.  Hawes found space five minutes later on the left but his shot hit the side netting with Clayton covering his near post.
A let off for the Swans on 54 minutes, an Evesham break saw three players forward with only Ben Deakin in defence.  Deakin was able to put in a block just inside the box.
The home side continued to put pressure on the Swans with a header from Ryan Paddock sailing wide and then Hayes shot under the challenge of Mike Ford was smothered by Adams.  Chamberlains effort from a 35 yard free kick was struck over the bar.
As both sides surged back and forth it was Slimbridge that took the lead for a second time.  Adams launched a long goal kick forward that was flicked on from the head of substitute Jamie Martin into the path of Hawes.  Hawes turned and beating off the challenge of a home defender tucked the ball past Clayton to the delight of the visiting supporters with 15 minutes of the game remaining.
It was however a nervy last 15 minutes as the visitors held strong at the back with shots from Hayes and former Swan Adam Mace going off target and Flo blocking a header from a home corner.
Evesham United: Clayton, Hunt, Mace, Williams, Paddock, Sheehan, Lymn, Chamberlain, Brain (Lucas), Hayes
Subs not used: C.Clayton, Miles, Staten, Johnson
Attendance: 199