Despite holding an interval lead, two second half goals from set-plays sentenced Evesham to their first Calor League South & West defeat at the Corinium Stadium.

Evesham dominated the opening 45 minutes playing some slick passing football and led through Marcus Palmer’s 2nd goal of the campaign. But big spending Cirencester hit back to score twice in identical fashion through Lee Smith and Steve Davies and leave the Robins still searching for their first success of the new season.

Palmer: 2 in 2 games

Palmer: 2 in 2 games

It took Palmer just five minutes to get on the scoresheet, getting on the end of Matt Sysum’s knockdown following Jared Wilson’s inch perfect free-kick.

Evesham went on to dominate the rest of the half without finding the net for a second time. The energetic Marcus Jackson fired just wide from distance and then Chris Holland produced a last ditch block to prevent Palmer from making it two. Before half-time Palmer did have the ball in the net again but his effort was disallowed for handball.

It was a different story after the break with Cirencester upping their game and United struggling to produce anything worthwhile in front of goal. It came as no surprise when the Centurions pulled level on 65 minutes. The United defence failed to deal with Ellis Dunton’s long throw and Smith volleyed in at the back post. Another Dunton throw eight minutes later resulted in Davies smashing home the winning goal past John Bateman.

A succession of late corners failed to produces an equaliser for the visitors as Cirencester saw out time to claim their second victory in four days.

EVESHAM UNITED:  Bateman, Jackson, Wilson, Richards, Sysum, Botfield, Brown (Holloway 68), Barnfield, Palmer, Dovey, Tambling (Rodrigues 78)

SUBS NOT USED:  Gould, Millard, Clarke.

REFEREE:  Mr. B. James (Carterton)




Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.