Match Report: Evesham United 1 vs Yate Town 1

Brown scored

The Robins were looking to return to winning ways at home and the way they started the game it looked like they meant business. In the opening minutes of the game Matt Liddiard headed one just over the bar and following some good link up play with Moore, Adam Mann had his shot blocked by Yate’s defender Blake. The game continued to be played in the Yate Town half with Evesham having most of the possession, the visitors looked happy to soak up the pressure that the home side were putting them under, pouncing on any mistake that the Robins made and trying to hit them on the break.

Hit them on the break was exactly what Yate did in the 32nd minute, with their number 10 tapping the ball into an unguarded Evesham net with Sawyer stranded. The visitors plan seemed to have worked and Evesham’s home form looked like being dented again. Undeterred by going behind United still pushed and probed into the visitor’s half, finishing the first half as they had started it, the stronger of the two sides having two good chances saved by the Yate Goalkeeper Rivers, the first came from some good build up play with a Bradley Gray cross finding Matt Liddiard’s head whose attempt was thwarted by a good save. In the 6th minute of first half injury time substitute Carl Brown had his shot saved by the foot of the Yate keeper on the line and the visitors took their lead into the break.

The home side started the second half with the same purpose that they had started the first, Ethan Moore found Lewis Powell in the box only for his on target shot to be pushed round the post by the Yate keeper. In the 52nd minute Powell had the ball in the back of the net only to be ruled offside, yet again Evesham were taking the game to the visitors piling them under pressure with just the final ball missing from their domination. Matt Bennett’s 30-yard strike looked like it was goal bound only to be tipped over the bar by River’s, the Yate keeper seemed to be on a one-man effort to increase the home sides home form misery.

In the 65th minute the game looked to have taken a turn in Evesham’s direction, the visitors were reduced to 10 men following Yate’s Mayson Evans receiving his second yellow card, more than ever the visitors sat back and soaked up constant Evesham pressure, a brilliant strike from Powell was yet again saved by the Yate keeper on 69 minutes. Surely the home side were going to get something from a game in which they had so much possession, along with plenty of chances that all seemed to end with the Yate keeper pulling off another great save.

Finally, the Robins got their reward, as they applied nonstop pressure upon Yate Town. It was two of Evesham’s substitutes that combined to bring the scores level in 84th minute, Jordan Bryan’s pinpoint cross was met by the head of Carl Brown whose header found the back of the net, at last they had found a way past the Yate keeper.

From the moment of the equaliser Evesham made every effort to go on and take all three points without success, for their second home game in succession they had to settle for a share of the points. The second half performance from the Robins gave the 194 Evesham faithful some optimism that their sides fortunes may be about to change, and a return to their early season form maybe coming at last.

Evesham Utd: Sawyer, M Williams, Bennett, Liddiard, A Williams, Sheehan (Bryan HT), Gray (Hancock 84), Mann (Brown 45+2), Powell, Moore, Fahy Subs not used: Odiero

Yate Town: Rivers, Evans, Blake, Anderson, Boulton, Hitchings, Elcock, Leigh-Gilchrist (Difford 30), Davies, Brooks (Gabbiadini 61), Tanner (Clark-Samuel 90+2) Subs: Gabbiadini, Difford, Clark-Samuel


Attendance: 194