Winchester City arrived at ‘The Jubilee’ they were unbeaten having won 2 and drawn 2, a statistic that would change on an afternoon when an old football cliche can truly be used, the 240 strong crowd were treated to “a game of two halves”.

It was Winchester City that started the game by far the brightest, with Lochie having to make 2 excellent saves in the 3rd and 4th minutes. The home goal appeared to be under siege at times and the visitors went close again with 14 minutes on the clock, a double save from the Evesham keeper before the ball was headed on to the bar and finally cleared kept the scores level.

The player that was creating Evesham real problems was Winchester’s number 10 was Simba Mlambo, just before the half hour he twisted and turned his way into the box, before his shot went well wide.

With the visitors well on top but unable to find the back of ‘The Robins’ net, Winchester’s lively Oliver Griggs hit a 30-yard strike which hit the bar and headed downwards at pace, fortunately for Evesham the officials adjudged the ball not to have crossed the line. There were a couple more half chances before half time one for either side, a 41st minute strike from the outside of Lee Chilton’s left foot was easily saved by Ryan Price in ‘The Citizens’ goal, Winchesters Jamie Barron had a deflected shot which once again was easily saved.

As the game reached half time Winchester would have been scratching their heads as to how they were not at least 2 or 3 goals to the good, the answer was quite simple the heroics of Lochie Robertson in the Evesham goal had kept the home side in the game.

The home fans were treated to a second half that was in complete contrast to the first half, with the evidence coming as early as the opening minute when a Tonge header from an Evesham corner went just over the bar. The deadlock was broken on 52 minutes, some good football down the right enabled Matt Dodd to find Aaron Roberts whose cross was met by Lee Chilton at the far post, with Chilly’s header finding its way into the visitors net from close range.

Winchester looked as if they were finding their way back into the game when in the 56th minute the services of Robertson were again called upon, this time saving with his feet from a good strike from Oliver Balmer.

Once again the Robins lifted their game and it came as no surprise when on 57 minutes when Matt Dodd found himself unmarked in a crowded box, he was able to thread his shot into the back of the net, giving him his first league goal and doubling Evesham’s lead, much to the joy of a very appreciative home crowd.

As the clocked ticked by some good possession from the home side thwarted the visitors any chance of getting back into the game, until the 82nd minute when Lochie pulled off another fine save once again from Mlambo.

The Evesham United players left the pitch with their fans showing their gratitude for another dogged, stick at it performance, they also gave the Winchester side the same applause for their part in what can only be described as “A Real Game Of Two Halves”.

Half Time: 0-0

Attendance: 240

Sponsors Man Of The Match: Lee Chilton

Evesham Utd: Robertson, Roberts, Smikle, Paddock, Maslen-Jones, Cresswell (O’Niell 70), Dodd (Sullivan 70), Bragoli, Tonge (Page 56), Chilton, Sangha. Subs Not Used: Morrison, Magee