Despite a spirited performance, Evesham United failed to put a dent in Merthyr Town`s title challenge going down to a 4-1 defeat at the Jubilee Stadium on Tuesday evening. United`s makeshift side were always chasing the game against an experienced and expensively assembled Merthyr outfit who now look favourites to finish top of the Calor League Division One South & West.

Merthyr were soon into their stride from the start and went ahead on 16 minutes through Kayne McLaggon`s precise finish after cutting in from the left. Evesham made a positive response with Elliot Kennedy brushing the crossbar and Lance Smith heading over Richard Mansell`s free-kick. Marcus Jackson then had his goalbound shot deflected wide but in the last action of the half McLaggon made it 2-0 with another low strike beyond keeper Louie Barnfather. Ryan Prosser tested Barnfather on two occasions following the break, while at the opposite end substitute Michael Tambling was unlucky not to pull a goal back for the Robins, when he skipped past two defenders only to strike a post with Martyr`s keeper Lee Idzi soundly beaten.

Palmer scored consolation goal

Palmer scored consolation goal

Two goals in ten minutes, however, put the game out of Evesham`s reach. Prosser provided the pass for substitute Ian Traylor to extended the lead to 3-0 with an unstoppable shot past the diving Barnfather. In between, Marcus Palmer did pull one back for United after Idzi had parried away Carl Brown`s drive but the impressive Prosser capitalised on a misunderstanding at the back to make the final score 4-1 after rounding Barnfather with four minutes to go.

Barnfather, Wilson, Wellon, Botfield, Sauntson, Hitchman, Jackson (Tambling 58), Kennedy (Davis 79), Brown, Smith (Palmer 70), Mansell.

SUBS NOT USED: Millard and Eyre.

REFEREE: Mr C.Husband (Worcester)



Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.