Evesham United staged a dramatic fightback to book their place in the final of the Worcestershire Senior Cup after an extra-time win against holders Stourbridge at a wet and windy Amblecote on Tuesday night.

The odds were stacked against Paul Collicutt`s side when the Glassboys led 2-0 at half-time and looked set to be heading for their fourth successive appearance in the final. United, however, had other ideas and turned the game on its head with two second-half goals to take the tie into extra-time. Then within a minute skipper Jared Wilson converted from the penalty-spot to send the Robins through to face Redditch United or Worcester City in the final.

Tom Berwick opened the scoring for Stourbridge on 27 minutes and the home side`s lead was doubled by Jordan Fitzpatrick who drove in past Louie Barnfather ten minutes before the break. A combination of swirling wind and driving rain made life difficult for both sides in the second-half but United adapted better to the conditions and pulled a goal back on 57 minutes when Carl Brown sprung Elliot Kennedy into action down the right and the speedy wideman beat keeper Dean Coleman
with an unstoppable drive into the roof of the net.

Evesham were now on the front foot and the pace of Lance Smith and Kennedy was causing the Stourbridge back four all sorts of problems. Their tireless efforts were rewarded when the outstanding Smith got between two defenders fifteen minutes from time to touch-in Wilson`s low cross and send the game into extra-time.

Wilson: Scored Winner with Spot-Kick

Wilson: Scored Winner with Spot-Kick

Inside the opening seconds of the first period, United stunned the home crowd by going ahead for the first time. Smith once again outpaced the home defence only to be brought down in the box by Coleman, who was lucky to escape with just a booking and Wilson made no mistake by blasting in the penalty. Stourbridge themselves were then awarded a spot-kick when Will Wellon was harshly adjudged to have fouled Fitzpatrick but the impressive Barnfather produced a brilliant save to push aside Sean Geddes` strike from 12 yards.

Despite substitute Brown getting his marching orders late on for two bookings, Evesham comfortably saw out time for a memorable victory and a County Cup final appearance for the first time since beating Kidderminster Harriers 1-0 in 2008/2009.

Barnfather, Wilson, Wellon, Barnfield (Davis 70), Axton, Watkin, Kennedy, Palmer (Hitchman 91), Smith, Vercesi (Brown 53), Tambling.

REFEREE: Mr D. Cheosiaua (Redditch)


See the winning penalty here scored by Jared Wilson.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.