Match Report: Wimborne Town 3 vs Evesham United 4

Courtesy of Wimborne FC website

In an action-packed game of free-flowing football, Wimborne surrendered a 3-goal lead as Evesham scored 4 times in 16 minutes to return to Worcestershire with all 3 points.

Evesham’s attacking intent was clear from the first few minutes as Lewis Powell fired over before Stefan Penny had to clear their next effort off the line. At the other end, Luke Burbidge created a central opportunity for Toby Holmes which Evesham keeper Kevin Sawyer easily saved. However, on 12 minutes Wimborne took the lead. Coming in from the right, Burbidge’s shot was parried by Sawyer before Holmes was quickest to react and netted the rebound. As play flowed from end to end, Matty Oldring blocked an effort by the dangerous Paul Fahy, before Gerard Benfield brilliantly saved Archie Haskayne’s shot as it flew through a packed goalmouth. Louis Kellaway then fulfilled his defensive duties with a header off the line. On 17 minutes Wimborne doubled their advantage. Luke Holmes played a ball over the Evesham back-line for Toby who came in from the right to beat Sawyer. Without two key defenders and the experienced Williams in midfield, it seemed Evesham’s defence had no answer to the home team’s attacking prowess. The only surprise was that no further goals were scored in an exciting first half.

Liddiard 4 in 4

Mann scored brace

When a team has a two-goal lead, the next goal is often critical. Quick feet from James Stokoe gave Holmes space to claim it, but he shot over. However, Wimborne had to wait just 8 minutes into the second period to claim that third goal. A quick free-kick found Holmes on the left of the penalty area, he beat his man but was hauled down. He took the resultant spot-kick himself. Sawyer guessed right but could only deflect the ball onto the post before it hit the net to complete the striker’s third hat-trick of the season. Evesham manager Paul Collicutt made three separate substitutions which energised the visitors and changed the course of the game. The visitors took control of the game, and swarmed forwards at every opportunity. The almost inevitable goal came on 70 minutes when Matthew Liddiard rose highest at the far post to score from a corner. Six minutes later, as the home side struggled to get the ball clear, Adam Mann returned a defensive header with interest from the edge of the box to reduce the deficit to one. Remarkably, on 80 minutes the scores were level.

Haskayne equalised

Archie Haskayne firing a screamer past Benfield from 25 yards. Wimborne desperately tried to get back in the game, but the momentum was with Evesham. On 86 minutes captain Mann beat the wall and Benfield from a free-kick just outside the penalty box on the left. Still Evesham flooded forward, and Benfield had to make a brilliant tip-over to prevent a fifth. Things got worse for a frustrated Wimborne when Luke Holmes was shown a straight red card for a midfield challenge.

Evesham United: Sawyer, Fahy, Bennett, Turley (Hancock 65), Brown (Corrick 57), Liddiard, Bryan, Haskayne, Powell, Mann, Binns (Francis 69)

Subs not used: Tustin, Rogers

Attendance: 273

Footnote: We move to sixth after this superb come from behind victory.