Match Report: Evesham United 1-1 Street

With Evesham United winning four of their last five games they were looking to continue the recent good form while Street had only managed two draws in the last six games.

Following a heavy downpour an hour before kick-off both teams struggled in the early moments of the game with the pace of the ball on a very slick surface.

The first chance of the game came as early as the fourth minute when Street’s Phil Ormrod shot just wide of the upright. It was the visitors who got to grips with the awful conditions the quicker of the two sides, playing most of their football in the Evesham half for the first 15 minutes.

The first chance for the home side came from a good run down the left by Steve Davis whose powerful cross was eventually met by Nick Hancock, his shot went just over the bar. It was then the chance of the visitors to take control of the game with two good chances the first coming from Ormrod whose volleyed shot Skimmed the bar, the second chance on the half hour came from a Ross McErlain free kick which was deflected and finally ended up in the hands of Andy Hannah in the Robins goal.

Some poor defending by the home side gave Ormrod yet another chance which went over the bar on 33 minutes. Despite Street being the better side it was Evesham who had the best opportunity of scoring in the first half, a Kye Simpson cross found Nick Hancock whose shot went just over the bar.

As the first half came to a close the 137 hardy souls watching two sides doing their very best to play a game of football were extremely grateful, of a few minutes to stay dry and warm, then came a sight you never see, all 22 players ran off the pitch towards the safety of the dressing rooms.

The second half got underway with the scores still level and the conditions deteriorating by the minute and now playing with the blustery wind, Evesham took full advantage and scored with just a minute on the clock, a Steve Davis cross was forced into the net by Cory Simpson.

The Robins carved out several opportunities in the 55th minute Davis broke clear but was unable to beat the advancing Liam Kingston in the Street goal, Tyrone Tucker-Dixon saw his long-range shot go just wide on 77 minutes. The Cobblers had an excellent chance to level the scores on 65 minutes when Harry Foster’s shot was saved by Andy Hannah, and again just 3 minutes later Foster couldn’t quite get on the end of an excellent cross by substitute Ed Butcher

With just 1 minute of normal time remaining Street finally got their equaliser when Ben Amghar forced the ball home from a very tight angle. The draw was probably a fair result on an afternoon when football was totally out played by the weather.

Evesham United: Hannah, Dovey, Tunnicliff, Turley, Anson©, Harding, Thomas (Davidge 72), Hancock, Davies, Kye Simpson (Kane Simpson 63), C Simpson (Tucker-Dixon 75) Subs Not Used: Brown, Wellon.