Match Report: Evesham United 1-2 Yate Town

Prior to the game both sides were looking to retain records, the visitors were trying to maintain their record of being unbeaten this season. Whilst Evesham United were looking to make it six wins on the bounce.

In the early exchanges of the game both sides looked to be struggling to adapt to a very slick surface following the lunchtime downpour.

In what was a very even start to the game the first chance fell to Evesham United in the 16th minute when a slick passing move involving Simpson, Haskayne and Davies ended with Yate clearing the ball away from danger.

Still chances came from both sides with neither of them seeming to be able to find the final ball, in the 35th minute Cory Simpson got on the end of a 1-2 move with Joe Tumelty, but his low struck shot was easily saved by the Yate keeper down to his left.

In the final minute of the first half the visitors showed their intent, they were not happy to come to the Jubilee just to make up the numbers, and Linden Dovey was called upon to make an off the line clearance when Yate Town’s David Sims-Burgess shot evaded the Evesham keeper, both sides went into the halftime break with the scores all level.

As the second half got underway Yate certainly looked the livelier of the two sides and, were awarded with their reward in the third minute when a superb freekick from 25 yards by Yate’s Nick Peare gave Harvey Rivers in ‘The Robins’ goal no chance.

It was now Yate Town’s time to take control of the game which they duly did, on the hour Carl Browns first touch after coming off the bench was a shot that was easily saved by Ross Grimshaw in the Yate goal. 

Steve Davis had an opportunity to level the game on 66 minutes but sadly missed from 8 yards, 2 minutes later following a corner Evesham had a shot cleared off the Yate line by a defender, many of the supporters behind the goal felt was with his hand.

Back came Yate again this time I neat passed split the defence and helped Sims-Burgess evade the offside trap leaving him one on one against the keeper whom he rounded and slotted the ball into an open Evesham goal.
A late consolation goal came the way of the hosts when Steve Davis tapped home a Tucker-Dixon cross.

The 244 strong crowd of whom most were home supporters left the ground feeling what if or if only on what turned out to be a very frustrating afternoon.

Evesham Utd: Rivers, Hancock, Humphreys, Turley, Tunnicliff, Dovey, Davidge (Tucker-Dixon 73), Haskayne, Davies, Tumelty (Brown 59), Simpson (Brain 79). Unused subs: Wellon, Price.

Attendance: 244