Report by Evesham Observer

Evesham United suffered a penalty shootout defeat against Alvechurch in the final of the Worcestershire Senior Cup.

After a goalless 90 minutes, both teams missed twice in the shootout before Alvechurch prevailed 4-3 in sudden death at the Spiers and Hartwell Stadium.

Evesham missed the chance to win a fourth Senior Cup title against an Alvechurch side who play one division higher.

Alvechurch had an early chance to take the lead from an indirect free-kick as Nick Clayton-Phillips blasted a shot wide of the post.

Both teams struggled to deal with the strong wind with little way of goalmouth action thereafter.

The best chance of the first half fell to Kartell Dawkins who saw his effort superbly saved by Robins goalkeeper Ben Taylor low down to his right with the game goalless at the break.

Evesham made a strong start to the second half as Ethan Moran cut in from the left before sending a dipping effort narrowly over the crossbar from distance.

And the Robins spurned a glorious chance to take the lead when Levi Steele beat the offside trap and latched onto a long ball in behind the Church defence only for Ronnie Hollingshead to make a crucial save when one-on-one.

Church responded when Dylan Hadley collected Dawkins’ pass before driving into the box and forcing Taylor into a smart save.

Church thought they had won the game at the death when Ammar Dyer turned home Josh Dugmore’s cross from the right at the back post only for the assistant referee to raise his flag for offside.

Moments later, Taylor bravely threw himself at the feet of Hadley to keep the game scoreless.

At the other end, Hollingshead sprung to his right to push substitute Ashley Sammons’ effort on the turn to safety.

The game inevitably went to penalties as both teams failed with two of their attempts to take the shootout to sudden death.

And after Hollingshead saved Freddie Willcox’s spot kick, Dyer coolly sent Taylor the wrong way to win the trophy for Alvechurch.

Video highlights here by Non League Matchday

Video highlights here by Craig Newton

Photos by Stuart Purfield here

Evesham United: Taylor, Ngathe, Awadh, O’Regan, Raison, Djurovic, Steele, Willcox, Moran (Sammons 73), Dunn (Heap 73), Owens

Subs not used: Hammett, Simpson, Burford

Attendance: 613