AFC Worcester Olympic 2 vs Evesham United Ladies 5

On a mild December afternoon the Evesham Ladies took the short trip to Claines Lane to meet local rivals AFC Worcester Olympic for their latest league match.

Evesham started playing down the slope in the first half on a soft and energy sapping pitch. Similarly to last weekend the Evesham Ladies started strongly but once again their initial shooting was wayward letting Olympic off the hook early on. However the first goal came in the 17th minute with a nice through ball being played to Hannah Campbell up front who made no mistake.

Evesham’s midfield of Kasey Corbett and Hannah Watts were calling the shots in midfield whilst the Olympic Ladies hassled and harried the visitors. However another through ball saw Campbell again through and one on one shot through the keepers legs to make it 0-2.

The Olympic ladies pushed forward as Evesham relaxed on their lead and a defensive error, failing to clear the ball, lead to Mel Curnock scoring for the hosts on her birthday to reduce the deficit. Katie Armento moved from the wing to partner Campbell up front and a renewed urgency in the Evesham camp lead Watts and Corbett to combine once again sending Armento through to score. Armento then got on the ball again late in the half and fired into the top corner. Half time 1-4.

The Olympic ladies regrouped at half time and with the slope in their favour pressed against the Evesham defence. However centre back Millie Meadows found space to break forward which lead to a lovely pass through to Laura Pearce he fired under the keeper to make it five for Evesham. This second half was a much closer affar and as both teams started to tire with the heavy pitch the hosts broke through. A shot was not cleared by the Evesham keeper and when the rebound was fired back in, by Kate Emerson, the ball squirmed through her hands into the net. Evesham, still controlling midfield and with Grace Harker and Nicole Maher pressing down each wing, continued to push for another goal. Armento thought she had scored a hatrick when a shot went over the keeper and came off the underside of the bar, the ball bounced out from behind her, and neither the Referee nor the Linesman were in a position to confirm the ball had crossed the line, much to Evesham’s frustration. However they saw out the rest of the game still trying to extend their advantage.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.