Report courtesy of Murry Toms of Cheltenham Town FC

Cheltenham Town got the new campaign underway with a comfortable pre-season win over Evesham United at Spiers and Hartwell Jubilee Stadium.
The result of course is irrelevant as boss Mark Yates continued his preparations for the forthcoming season on a baking evening in Worcestershire.
In the end the Robins found seven without reply against the Calor Gas League Division One South and West side.
Yates in effect fielded two sides here with each member of the squad getting 45 minutes of match action under their belt.
Summer acquisitions Matt Richards (at left back), Troy Brown (centre half) and Jamie Cureton all started while trialists Josh Rees, of Arsenal, and Joe Anyinsah, formerly of Bristol Rovers, joined the starting XI in the first half.
Cureton looked lively in the opening exchanges and claimed his first goal for the club after only 11 minutes, meeting Jermaine McGlashan’s accurate cross from the right with a powerful header.
Rees meanwhile showed quality of his own to first create a chance for Ed Williams, before testing the goalkeeper himself from 20 yards. The young midfielder should have then scored with half-time approaching, but he rolled his effort across goal.
Cheltenham doubled their advantage midway through the first half, Jared Wilson turning into his own net after another delivery from McGlashan.
Sam Deering saw two decent efforts saved while at the other end, Scott Brown pulled off a sharp save to deny Linden Dovey from the edge of the box in Evesham’s only real sight of goal all evening.
Troy Brown made it three on the stroke of half-time with a header from six yards after Steve Elliott had headed Deering’s corner from the right back across the goal.
The second half team included trialist George Bowerman, and the ex-Walsall striker wasted no time in adding the fourth shortly after the restart courtesy of a heavy deflection.
Rees saw two headers fly wide before he was withdrawn in a flurry of substitutions around the hour mark.
Next Byron Harrison opened his account, scoring from the penalty spot with 68 minutes on the clock after the striker had been pushed as he shaped to shoot.
Dan O’Donnell, the former Liverpool youth defender who finished last season with Barrow, was the fourth trialist to appear on the night alongside Jake Taylor in central defence and played his part in preserving a clean sheet.

In the end second year scolar Bobby Dale completed the scoring, claiming two goals in the final seven minutes of the match on a satisfactory evening for boss Yates.

EVESHAM UNITED (4-4-2): Bateman (Tassell 74); Wilson (Powell 55), Loney (Mansell 46), Sysum, Pike (Williams 55); John (Holloway 46), Richards (Millard 66), Botfield, Tambling (McGee 79); Dovey (Brooks 46), Brown.
First half: Brown; Lowe, Brown, Elliott, Richards; McGlashan, Rees, Deering, Williams; Cureton, Anyinsah.
Second half: Roberts; Jombati, Taylor, O’Donnell, Jones; Anyinsah (Kotwica 57), Rees (Penn 63), Hanks, Deering (Dale 63); Bowerman, Harrison.
REFEREE: Mr Brian Durie



Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.